Wednesday 6 May 2015

The Vintage Guide to Love and Romance - Kirsty Greenwood

"Jessica Beam is a girl who knows how to party. Only lately she's been forgetting to turn up for work on time. Or in clean clothes. Down on her luck, out of a job and homeless, Jess seeks the help of her long-lost grandmother.
Things aren't going well for Matilda Beam, either. Her 1950s Good Woman guide books are out of print, her mortgage repayments are staggering and her granddaughter wears neon Wonderbras.
When a lifeline from a London publisher arrives, the pair have an opportunity to secure the roof over their heads - by invigorating the Good Woman guides and transforming modern, rebellious Jess into a demure vintage lady.
The true test of their make-over will be to capture the heart of notorious London playboy Leo Frost and prove that Matilda's guides still work. It's going to take commitment, nerves of steel and one seriously pointy bra to pull this off . . ."


Oh, how I LOVED Jessica Beam - this book made me laugh til I cried and then some. I was sniggering away to myself by the end of chapter one, and it just got better and better. Jessica Beam is a human hurricane, and I loved seeing how she transformed herself through her Grandmother's tips for how to be a "good woman" - tips that embody all that Jess is NOT. 
The writing was fantastic, and I loved the references to modern pop culture (although I do get that not everybody is going to love that part of it). I fell a teensy bit in love with every character - Jess is brilliant and hilariously funny, Peach is a sweetie, as is Jamie, and Leo is…something else. I don't want to give away any spoilers, but it really is a gorgeously sweet, funny,  perfect chick-lit read - one that I swallowed whole in the space of one Bank Holiday weekend. 

The Vintage Guide to Love and Romance is out now and you can get it here:



No comments:

Post a Comment