Friday 22 May 2015

The Day of the Wave - Becky Wicks

"One tsunami. Two lives. Over a decade of questions.

Torn apart by the tragedy. Thrown back together ten years later by destiny... Isla and Ben were just sixteen when the Boxing Day tsunami ripped through their beach resort in Thailand. Just days after forming a life-changing bond, both were missing and presumed dead.
Unbeknown to each other and haunted by one of the biggest natural disasters in world history, Isla and Ben are living very different lives, until over a decade later when a chance encounter throws them back together.
Based on real life events, The Day of the Wave is a story of healing, learning to let go, and figuring out when to hold on with everything you have left."


This was not my usual kind of read, but I'm glad I picked it up - it's marketed on Amazon as a "historical romance novel", and I wouldn't agree with that. Although somewhat historical (seeing as it was 10 years ago), the tag line might have put me off picking it up, as I would have been expecting a reeeealllly historic novel! That said, I did read it and I actually LOVED IT. 
I'm not sure whether Becky actually has first experience of events in Thailand that day, or if she just did heaps of excellent research, but her descriptions of what happened on the day of the wave are exquisite - you can almost feel the terror pouring off the page. 
Her characters are well-written and very likeable - the tension between Isla and Ben is brilliant, and I almost felt like actively cheering them on! There are a few unpleasant characters, and they are also well-written in such a way, that although I didn't particularly like them, I still wanted to know what they had to say. Although upsetting in places, I really enjoyed The Day Of The Wave and definitely recommend it, although I do think the Amazon tag-line needs to be changed! 

The Day Of The Wave is out now and you can get it here:


**Many thanks to Xpresso Book Tours for my ARC**

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a really emotional and realistic read. I'm glad you liked it! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete