Tuesday 5 May 2015

No Name Lane - Howard Linskey

"Young girls are being abducted and murdered in the North-East. Out of favour Detective Constable Ian Bradshaw struggles to find any leads - and fears that the only thing this investigation will unravel is himself.
Journalist Tom Carney is suspended by his London tabloid and returns to his home village in County Durham. Helen Norton is the reporter who replaced Tom on the local newspaper. Together, they are drawn into a case that will change their lives forever.
When a body is found, it's not the latest victim but a decades-old corpse. Secrets buried for years are waiting to be found, while in the present-day an unstoppable killer continues to evade justice…"

This was a lovely surprise. It had been sitting on my Kindle for a good while, and I clicked on it whilst on holiday - in a hotel room with no wi-fi and no way of reading the blurb. I'm so glad I picked it up - I was hooked from the first page. There are some very strong characters, and an excellently executed plot which alludes to the final twist at the end early on, but I didn't realise and the twist was a surprise. The story is very well-written, from both time periods, and although sometimes books written in this fashion can become confusing, the storyline ran smoothly from one time period to the next. 
In short, a brilliant book, with a great plot and some excellent characters. I'm glad I wasn't able to read the blurb on the back before reading, as it just added to the tension during the book, as I had no idea at all what I was expecting. 
This is the first Howard Linskey novel I have read, but I highly recommend it and I will definitely be looking out for his previous work!
No Name Lane is out now and you can get it here:

**Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for my review copy**

No comments:

Post a Comment