Wednesday 13 May 2015

The Time In Between - Nancy Tucker

"When Nancy Tucker was eight years old, her class had to write about what they wanted in life. She thought, and thought, and then, though she didn't know why, she wrote: 'I want to be thin.' Over the next twelve years, she developed anorexia nervosa, was hospitalised, and finally swung the other way towards bulimia nervosa. She left school, rejoined school; went in and out of therapy; ebbed in and out of life. From the bleak reality of a body breaking down to the electric mental highs of starvation, hers has been a life held in thrall by food. Told with remarkable insight, dark humour and acute intelligence, The Time in Between is a profound, important window into the workings of an unquiet mind - a Wasted for the 21st century."



This insightful, astonishingly honest memoir snapped my heart in two by the end of the prologue. Nancy's story of anorexia and bulimia is simply the most touching, heart-rending book I have read this year. 
I've never had any experience of anorexia myself, but being the mum of three children I am conscious of my weight, and can't remember how long I have been on (and failed at) diets. Reading Nancy's story has made me realise that the never ending quest to be thin is not the be all and end all, and it's certainly made me think about the way I behave around food, and the way I think about my own body, particularly in front my almost-teenaged daughter. Nancy is brutally honest about her illness, the effects and how it has affected her life and relationships, and I have nothing but admiration for her. Her writing is lovely, and she tells her story in a matter of fact way. 
Nancy Tucker, you are a very brave lady, and I hold you in the highest esteem - you may have broken my heart, but I'm so glad you're on your way to the rest of your life. 

The time In Between is out now and you can get it here:


**My thanks to the publisher for my review copy**

No comments:

Post a Comment