Monday 11 May 2015

The Gospel According to Drew Barrymore - Pippa Wright

"Friendship is like a shark: it has to keep moving forwards to survive.
Esther and Laura have been best friends since they were seven, when Esther was chubby and Laura was already perfect. So much has changed since then - school, boyfriends, drink, experimental hair-dye, university, jobs, London, babies - and their friendship has changed just as much, but they are still close, still inextricably linked to one another.
So when Esther is told that Laura has gone missing, she leaves everything behind - including her husband and small child - to fly to San Francisco and trace her friend's last movements. All she has is an email from Laura: 'I'm channelling Drew Barrymore, as ever. The Gospel, right?'
In trying to understand why Laura has disappeared, and what on earth Drew Barrymore has to do with it, Esther needs to look back. Back at the secrets woven into their friendship and the truths she's avoided facing for so long."


I read so many thrillers that sometimes I forget just how good a good chick-lit novel can be. I read this while sunning myself at the pool in my hotel in California, and it was the perfect holiday chick-lit read about female friendships and how far we will go for our BFFs. The plot was sweet, with the kind of ending that I was holding out for. 

Esther is a lovely, sweet character, who is determined to help her best friend despite having a family of her own to deal with. Laura, on the other hand, I didn't really like at all - she's pretty selfish and manipulative, and really needed to grow up. I loved the references to the '80's and what girl who grew up in the '80's didn't want to be Drew Barrymore at some point?

This is the first Pippa Wright novel that I've read, and I'm pretty sure it wont be the last. 

The Gospel According to Drew Barrymore is out now and you can get it here:


**Thank you to Pan MacMillan and Netgalley for my ARC**

No comments:

Post a Comment