Friday 26 June 2015

You, Me and Other People - Fionnuala Kearney

"THEY SAY EVERY FAMILY HAS SKELETONS IN THEIR CLOSET . . .
But what happens when you open the door and they won’t stop tumbling out?
For Adam and Beth the first secret wasn’t the last, it was just the beginning.
You think you can imagine the worst thing that could happen to your family, but there are some secrets that change everything.
And then the question is, how can you piece together a future when your past is being rewritten?"

Wow - I loved this book. I couldn't put it down and devoured it in a day and a half. You, Me and Other People is almost like being given the door key to someone's house and being able to let yourself in and watch, completely unseen, what is going on in these people's lives. I LOVED Beth - I loved the way she started off all at sea and not knowing what to do with her life once the secrets started tumbling out, I loved the way she reacted to some of those secrets, and most of all I loved the way she grew as a character, while all this shit was being thrown at her. 
The secrets were also brilliant - just when I thought Adam couldn't possibly get any worse (and despite the fact that I thought he was a massive shit, and deserved all he got, I couldn't help but like him, and feel sorry for him in some way), another secret was revealed and the tension got ramped up another notch.
Probably not the best read for anyone who's going through a messy divorce, this is a brutal insight into what happens when people just can't be honest with each other, how painfully these things can turn out, and about how some times, there is a way to get through it all. 

You, Me and Other People is out now and you can get it here:


**My thanks to the publisher for my ARC**

No comments:

Post a Comment