Thursday 4 June 2015

In A Dark, Dark Wood - Ruth Ware

"Someone's getting married. Someone's getting murdered.
In a dark, dark wood 
Nora hasn't seen Clare for ten years. Not since Nora walked out of school one day and never went back. 
There was a dark, dark house
Until, out of the blue, an invitation to Clare’s hen do arrives. Is this a chance for Nora to finally put her past behind her?
And in the dark, dark house there was a dark, dark room
But something goes wrong. Very wrong.
And in the dark, dark room.... 
Some things can’t stay secret for ever."


This was a good read - but I have to confess it didn't blow me away. There was a good story line, and one aspect of the book that I did really enjoy was the little sub-plots bubbling away throughout, all centred around each persons relationship with Claire. There were some tense moments, but I think there could have been more tension between each of the characters - in some places it felt a little forced, and I would have liked to have a little more suspense thrown in. Where the tension appeared forced in some places, I found it a little hard to get fully into the environment that was being created, and I couldn't let myself swept up any tension that WAS being created. 
I didn't guess who the villain was - although I did go through stages of suspecting everybody at some point, which for me, does point to a good read. I did enjoy the novel and I would rate it as a 3.5 star read - I would have enjoyed it more if the characters had been a little more nasty to each other! Although they were all pretty horrible throughout, more tension could have been created, but that said, I would still recommend to anybody who enjoys psychological thrillers and the likes of C.L. Taylor and Mark Edwards.

In A Dark, Dark Wood is out on 30th July and you can get it here:


**Many thanks to the publisher for my ARC**

No comments:

Post a Comment