Sunday 7 June 2015

Too Many Cooks - Dana Bate

"Kelly Madigan seems to have it all: a fabulous boyfriend, a supportive - if eccentric - family, and a flourishing career as a cookbook ghostwriter. But after finding a letter from her recently-deceased mother, criticising her stable but unexciting life, Kelly knows she needs to make a change. When a mysterious new writing opportunity in London presents itself, she jumps at the chance to get away from it all. 
Enter Natasha Spencer - Oscar-winning actress and health nut, not to mention a total nightmare. She's working on a new cookbook and has asked for Kelly's help. What Kelly didn't factor in was meeting Natasha's dishy MP husband, Hugh Ballantine. 
Away from her family, friends, and the life she knows - will this fish out of water ever get back in the swim?"


I love books, and I love food. So for me a book that combines the two is always going to be a winner. This was an easy read that I whizzed through in a day - a good story line, with relatable characters, alongside some delicious recipes meant I really enjoyed it. I really liked Kelly, even when she was getting up to things she shouldn't have been, and I loved seeing how her relationships with various people developed throughout the novel. Natasha is a perfect portrayal of how I would imagine some Hollywood A-listers behave, but for me the best character was Kelly's best friend, Meg - she had me in stitches in places, ("..I just ran into him", "With your vagina?"). 
I actually really enjoyed the ending of the novel too - it was not the average happily-ever-after that I was expecting, but it was still Kelly's happily-ever-after and that was something that I did really like. The recipes at the end are an unexpected bonus too - and if I ever (as a Brit) figure out what Miracle Whip really is, I'll be all over that Spaghetti Salad. 

Too Many Cooks is out now and you can get it here:


**Thank you to the publisher for my ARC**

No comments:

Post a Comment