Friday 24 April 2015

The Woman Who Stole My Life - Marian Keyes

"'Name: Stella Sweeney.
Height: average.
Recent life events: dramatic.'
One day, sitting in traffic, married Dublin mum Stella Sweeney attempts a good deed. The resulting car crash changes her life.
For she meets a man who wants her telephone number (for the insurance, it turns out). That's okay. She doesn't really like him much anyway (his Range Rover totally banjaxed her car).
But in this meeting is born the seed of something which will take Stella thousands of miles from her old life, turning an ordinary woman into a superstar, and, along the way, wrenching her whole family apart.
Is this all because of one ill-advised act of goodwill? Was meeting Mr Range Rover destiny or karma? Should she be grateful or hopping mad?
For the first time real, honest-to-goodness happiness is just within her reach. But is Stella Sweeney, Dublin housewife, ready to grasp it?"

I seriously heart Marian Keyes - she is the absolute Queen of non-fluffy chick lit. So, already knowing that Marian is the Queen of non-fluffy chick lit, I kind of knew after just reading the blurb that I was going to love The Woman Who Stole My Life - and I so did. 
Stella is such a gorgeous character, you can't help but fall in love with her from the word go - she's a normal average woman, concerned about the everyday things in life that we are all concerned about (children, husband, belly weight), and so easy to relate to, but her life is far from average. With an ex-husband who has decided to give away every item that he owns in some kind of karma project, a teenage son who is more into yoga than drugs and a daughter who is living with a wealthy older man Stella has a lot on her plate. 

I loved every character - Ryan is a hot mess (and hilarious with it) while Mannix is just pure lush. The more serious side of the novel deals with Stella and her illness, which I felt was dealt with incredibly sensitively, and was very well-written. In all, other cracking story from Marian Keyes. Did I tell you I heart Marian??

The Woman Who Stole My Life is out now and you can get it here:


No comments:

Post a Comment