Friday 6 February 2015

The Kind Worth Killing - Peter Swanson

"Delayed in London, Ted Severson meets a woman at the airport bar. Over cocktails they tell each other rather more than they should, and a dark plan is hatched - but are either of them being serious, could they actually go through with it and, if they did, what would be their chances of getting away with it?
Back in Boston, Ted's wife Miranda is busy site managing the construction of their dream home, a beautiful house out on the Maine coastline. But what secrets is she carrying and to what lengths might she go to protect the vision she has of her deserved future?"



WOW. Every now and then a book comes along that makes you shriek a little bit as you read it, that makes you want to grab hold of the arm of the person next to you and shout "OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD!" in their face. This is that kind of book, and that is the kind of treatment that poor old Mr H has been experiencing since I picked it up. The story alternates between the characters involved and is told in turn from each person's point of view (but not in a confusing way). I started reading, and I thought, "yeah, this is OK. But I dunno why the Book Club Bestie was raving about it so much??". Til I hit the first twist - and Mr H got grabbed by the arm while I screeched, "OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD!" in his face. 

Each character was easy to relate to - and I loved each and every one of them, even though I probably wasn't supposed to like some of them, and the ending was perfect - subtle, with an extra twist of "OH MY GOD'. Peter Swanson has done a brilliant job in creating a fantastic thriller, with quite brilliant characters and this could quite possibly be my book of the year so far.

The Kind Worth Killing is out now and you can get your copy here (and you really should):


I was fortunate enough to receive an ARC from the publisher and Netgalley.

No comments:

Post a Comment