Sunday 9 August 2015

Murder in Malmö - Torquil Macleod

"A gunman is loose in Malmö and he's targeting immigrants. The charismatic head of an advertising agency is found dead in his shower. Inspector Anita Sundström wants to be involved in the murder investigations, but she is being sidelined by her antagonistic boss. She is assigned to find a stolen painting by a once-fashionable artist, as well as being lumbered with a new trainee assistant. She also has to do to restore her professional reputation after a deadly mix-up in a previous high-profile case. Then another prominent Malmö businessman is found murdered and Sundström finds herself back in the action and facing new dangers in the second Anita Sundström Malmö mystery."



The second instalment in the Anita Sundström series is another cracking read - I really like Anita, she's a bit feisty, doesn't need a fella hanging around and is completely happy to do her own thing. She doesn't come without her demons - being in love with a killer who's currently banged up behind bars doesn't do her any favours at work - but I like the way she thinks and operates. 
This second novel focusses on issues surrounding racism which makes for uncomfortable reading at times. The opinions that are held by some of the characters are opinions that no rational person would believe in today, and in some places it did make me feel a little awkward. This doesn't detract from the story for me, I actually quite enjoyed being taken out of my comfort zone (and I love when characters are created that are just that hideous).
Those of you that have read the first in the series may be pleased to hear that Westerman carries on being his usual, obnoxious self - unfortunately I can't bear him, and Anita's little comments that take the wind out of his sails are brilliantly amusing.

Another excellent read - I can't wait for the next in the series!

Murder in Malmö is out now and you can get it here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk

**My thanks to the publisher for my ARC**


1 comment:

  1. Sounds a good read, with some hideous characters! Thanks for the great review

    ReplyDelete