Saturday 23 July 2016

The Name I Call Myself - Beth Moran

"All Faith Harp wants is a quiet life – to take care of her troubled brother, Sam, earn enough money to stop the wolves snapping at her heels, and to keep her past buried as deep as possible. And after years of upheaval, she might have just about managed it: she’s engaged to the gorgeous and successful Perry is holding down a job, and Sam’s latest treatment seems to actually be working this time. But, for Faith, things never seem to stay simple for long. Her domineering mother-in-law-to-be is planning a nightmare wedding, including the wedding dress from hell. And the man who killed her mother is released from prison, sending her brother tumbling back into mental illness. When secretly planning the wedding she really wants, Faith stumbles across a church choir that challenges far more than her ability to hold a tune. She ends up joining the choir, led by the fierce choir-mistress, Hester, who is determined to do whatever it takes to turn the motley crew of women into something spectacular. She also meets Dylan, the church’s vicar, who is different to any man she has ever met before."



In all honesty, I am a crime fiction girl at heart, and was never expecting be a fan of Beth Moran. She just seemed a little too nice from the blurb. This is the second of her novels that I've read though, and you know what? She isn't as nice as the blurb makes out (this is a GOOD THING, trust me). I really enjoyed Beth's last novel, and it came as a refreshing treat after months of reading about psychos and serial killers. This novel is even better.

This book takes a slightly darker tone than the previous novel, and that was something that I liked. Beth always has very likeable characters, and this time Faith, while likeable, also has a dark secret that she's trying to hide from her new future family. The plot line pulled me in, and there are some really brilliant characters - I loved Marilyn - and the focus on women and how we are so much stronger when we are all together was another element that I really loved. 

Yes, it's chick lit but there's nothing fluffy or two-dimensional about it. The focus isn't on how the main character can get her man, or whatever. It's about being yourself, opening up to others, and showing how we are there to lean on each other - to help each other. It's the kind of chick lit I'd want my daughter to be reading. Basically, I loved it - and I'm looking forward to the next Beth Moran book.

The Name I call Myself is out now and you can get it here:


**My thanks to the publisher for my ARC**


No comments:

Post a Comment