Sunday 17 July 2016

High Season (The Polo Season Series) - Nacho Figueras & Jessica Whitman

"World-renowned polo player and global face of Ralph Lauren, Nacho Figueras dives into the world of scandal and seduction with a new fiction series set in the glamorous, treacherous world of high-stakes polo competition. 
Georgia never wanted to be a jetsetter. A plain old country vet was fine for her. But one distress call from her best friend and the next thing she knows she's neck deep in the world of polo's most elite international players--complete with designer dresses, fine champagne and some of the most gorgeous thoroughbreds she's ever seen. Some of the most gorgeous men too... 
Alejandro Del Campo needs his team to win the season's biggest polo tournament or else he's not sure how much longer they're going to be in business. What he doesn't need is some sassy new vet telling him how to run his business--and distracting him at every turn. But as they come closer and closer to the championship match, it soon becomes clear that Alejandro wants to win Georgia just as much as the tourney trophy. But can he ever convince her his world is where she truly belongs?"





I was offered an ARC of this novel, as I had confessed to being a Jilly Cooper fan. Which I am. A massive fan. So, although I was looking forward to reading this, it wasn't without some trepidation. Lots of writers have been compared to Jilly, but the only other one I've found who stands up to Jilly's high standards is Zara Stoneley. I was ever so slightly worried that this wouldn't compare. In a way, it didn't - although I liked a lot of the characters, I didn't have the emotional attachment that I have built up with other characters, but this IS the first in a series, so I'm sure the character attachment will come over time.
That said, it did compare in other ways - the storyline uses a very similar formula to Jilly Cooper (handsome rider-type guy, beautiful girl, he-loves-her-but-doesn't-want-to-and-vice-versa), and it's a formula that WORKS. And it works in this case too - I did really like Georgia and Alejandro, and despite feeling like I didn't connect with some of the other minor characters, I still want to know what happens next in the series, and I know that once I read the next in the series I'll be glad to be re-visiting old familiar faces.
So, in short, NO it's not in Jilly's league JUST YET, but I still give it four stars, as I'm already looking forward to reading the next in the series, and that can't be a bad thing at all. 

High Season is out on 27th July and you can get it here:


**My thanks to the publisher for my ARC**

No comments:

Post a Comment