Monday 2 November 2015

Written in the Scars - Mel Sherratt

"Scars. Sometimes they’re visible. Sometimes they’re hidden deep within. 

After years of living as a single parent, all Donna Adams longs for is someone to make her smile, to share hopes and dreams with, to keep her warm at night. But when that certain someone gives her the attention she craves, true love doesn’t always follow the right path. 

Home from the army, Lewis is a changed man. Angry and consumed by grief, troubled by nightmares and flashbacks, his mind is worse now than ever. Shutting out what he’s seen isn’t easy, but he risks losing everything he’s come back to if he doesn’t, including his sanity. 

Megan Cooper hides her scars for fear of being rejected. Mary Marshall can’t always remember how she got hers. 

If the past could be erased to make a better future, we’d all want that, wouldn’t we? But life is never that easy for the residents of The Mitchell Estate…"



I love Mel Sherratt - but this is the first Estate series book I've read, even though they are all on my kindle. I love her DS Allie Shenton series, so when I was offered an advance copy of this, I thought it was time to start on the Estate! 
This didn't disappoint - think Martina Cole, but with far more likeable characters. I found the storyline easy to get into and straight away there were characters I identified with, along with some that I got the bad vibe about ( and I was right, which made it even better!).
Mel's writing is strong, and there is some excellent dialogue - you can really hear some of the characters in your ear as they speak, always a good sign for me! 
Although similar in style to Martina Cole, I much prefer Mel - the characters are not quite so rough, and where I began to find Martina Cole's characters all a little bit "samey" Mel' characters all have quite a distinctive, individual feel. There's no massive, shocking plot twist, but the plot line tells the story of life on the estate, and this was something that I did really like - almost a focus on real people, living real lives.
In short, I really enjoyed this. Despite it being the last one so far in a series I didn't feel like I missed anything by not reading the others, but I definitely will be going back to catch up.

Written in the Scars is out on 30th October and you can get it here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk

**My thanks to the author for my ARC**


No comments:

Post a Comment