Thursday 15 January 2015

Clovenhoof - Heide Goody & Iain Grant

"Charged with gross incompetence, Satan is fired from his job as Prince of Hell and exiled to that most terrible of places: English suburbia. Forced to live as a human under the name of Jeremy Clovenhoof, the dark lord not only has to contend with the fact that no one recognises him or gives him the credit he deserves but also has to put up with the bookish wargamer next door and the voracious man-eater upstairs. 

Heaven, Hell and the city of Birmingham collide in a story that features murder, heavy metal, cannibalism, armed robbers, devious old ladies, Satanists who live with their mums, gentlemen of limited stature, dead vicars, petty archangels, flamethrowers, sex dolls, a blood-soaked school assembly and way too much alcohol. 

Clovenhoof is outrageous and irreverent (and laugh out loud funny!) but it is also filled with huge warmth and humanity. Written by first-time collaborators Heide Goody and Iain Grant, Clovenhoof will have you rooting for the bad guy like never before."


This is not my usual kind of thing, I must confess, but having seen rave reviews on THE Book Club I took a chance on it and I wasn't sorry I did. Jeremy Clovenhoof is the fallen Satan, sent to Earth for generally doing a crap job in Hell. The antics that followed had me roaring with laughter and to be honest, I'm not sure I can ever eat blood pudding again. I absolutely loved this, and if going to hell means hanging out with the likes of Jeremy Clovenhoof, I'm not sure it can be all that bad. The sequel, Pigeonwings, is already loaded on to my Kindle and you can get it, and Clovenhoof here:


No comments:

Post a Comment