Monday 28 September 2015

Burnt Paper Sky - Gilly MacMillan

"Rachel Jenner turned her back for a moment. Now her eight-year-old son Ben is missing.
But what really happened that fateful afternoon?
Caught between her personal tragedy and a public who have turned against her, there is nobody left who Rachel can trust. But can the nation trust Rachel?
The clock is ticking to find Ben alive.
WHOSE SIDE ARE YOU ON?"

Oh, Gilly MacMillan what have you done to me? I started reading this late Saturday night, just one chapter, as I had been given my copy at Harrogate in July and it kept being prevented from reaching the top of the pile by all the other books that have arrived since. So far, so good. Sunday morning came and I thought I would have a bit of a lie-in, read my book in bed since it was windy and rainy. By the time I was ready to get up I was suckered in completely. Children went unwashed, dinner went uncooked, and I eventually collapsed on to my pillow VERY VERY LATE on Sunday night having devoured the entire novel. 
This is a stinkingly good read - packed full of tension, with believable characters that make your heartstrings tug and twang all over the place. It's an emotional read, one that is hard in places, as the reader experiences everything that Rachael is going through.
The ending is a shocker, and I never for a million years would have guessed it - either I am getting increasingly rubbish at guessing twists (never!) or writers are just getting better and better! 
A heart-wrenching, emotional read that will keep you up all night, but is TOTALLY worth the eye-bags in the morning. 

Burnt Paper Sky is out now and you can get it here:


*Thanks to the publisher and the lovely Harrogate team for my ARC*

No comments:

Post a Comment