Thursday 9 June 2016

Willow Walk - SJI Holliday

"When the past catches up, do you run and hide or stand and fight?
When a woman is brutally attacked by an escaped inmate from a nearby psychiatric hospital, Sergeant Davie Gray must track him down before he strikes again. But Gray is already facing a series of deaths connected to legal highs and a local fairground, as well as dealing with his girlfriend Marie’s increasingly bizarre behaviour.
As Gray investigates the crimes, he comes to realise that there has to be a link between Marie and the man on the run. It’s the only thing that makes any sense. But he also knows that if he confronts her with the truth, he risks losing everything.
As a terrified Marie is pulled back into a violent past she thought she’d escaped, she makes a life-changing decision. And when events come to a head at a house party on Willow Walk, can Gray piece together the puzzle in time to stop the sleepy town of Banktoun being rocked by tragedy once again?'

I enjoyed Susi's first novel, and was looking forward to this, her second, however I didn't realise exactly HOW GOOD this one was going to be. The second in the Banktoun trilogy is a BRILLIANT read - it's intense and uncomfortable, and at some points I felt like I should be averting my eyes, but like a car crash, I couldn't. 

Two storyline running alongside each other mean that this is a pacy, addictive read. The characters are...hard to describe. I liked Marie, even though she is desperately flawed, and there is nothing you can dislike about Davie. Some of the other characters, though, had my skin crawling - there is something about a certain character that gets under your skin and makes you feel that uncomfortable, which means long after I'd finished reading he played on my mind. A tense and difficult read, Willow Walk heads right up to the boundaries of some pretty intense, taboo stuff - and it's executed perfectly. 

Bravo, Susi - I thought I loved Black Wood, but it turns out I loved Willow Walk even more. I can't wait for the third in the trilogy. 


**My thanks to the publisher for my ARC**

No comments:

Post a Comment